Our National History

On the evening of November 9, 1946, Margaret Hawkins and Sarah Scott, two young Philadelphia matrons, invited seven of their friends to join them in organizing a new type of inter-city club. This organizing meeting of The Links was not a spontaneous action. In 1945, Link Hawkins had conceived the idea of a group of clubs composed of friends along the eastern seaboard and had spent many hours with Link Scott in thinking, planning and discussing the possibilities of such an endeavor.

The two women envisioned an organization that would respond to the needs and aspirations of Black women in ways that existing clubs did not. It was the intent of these Co-founders that the club would have a threefold aim—civic, educational, and cultural. Based on these aims, the club would implement programs, which its founders hoped would foster cultural appreciation through the arts; develop richer intergroup relations; and help women who participated to understand and accept their social and civic responsibilities.

Besides the two founders, the original members of the Philadelphia Club were Links Frances Atkinson, Katie Green, Marion Minton, Lillian Stanford, Myrtle Manigault Stratton, Lillian Wall, and Dorothy Wright. The club elected Margaret Hawkins as president, Sarah Scott as vice president, Myrtle Manigault Stratton as recording secretary, Frances Atkinson as corresponding secretary, and Dorothy Wright as treasurer. The first constitution adopted by the Philadelphia club suggests what its Co-founders had in mind when they invited their friends to join them. All members were required to be “active and conscientious about club duties.” New members would be chosen by a unanimous, secret ballot, and could not be proposed for membership while present at a meeting as a guest. Members of The Links could not be members of other national inter-city clubs, but could be members of sororities and/or business or professional associations.



celebration poster
Sunday, October 16, 2016

Thank you to everyone who joined us in commemorating our rich history and 50 years of service in our community!


Our Celebration was a Huge Success!
Click to view our Celebration Souvenir Program Booklet


Special Thank you our Major sponsors
William and Occeletta Briggs
Earl Taylor, M.D.


The Links, Inc. National website  Western Area website

© 2019 The Stockton Chapter of The Links, Incorporated